[Lingtyp] Query: Elided Intensification

ARNOLD Laura Laura.Arnold at ed.ac.uk
Mon Apr 12 09:03:52 UTC 2021

Dear all,

Here are several more examples from northern Maluku and northwest New Guinea, the region where Papuan Malay and Ambel are spoken:

Ternate Malay (Austronesian > Malayic; Litamahuputty 2012: 175)
“The word sampe ‘arrive[/until]’ may serve to express an evaluative meaning. In this function, sampe occurs at the end of a clause and is often uttered in a specific rising intonation pattern and with lengthening of the final vowel.”

(1)     eh,     tong    lari    sampe!

EXCL    1PL     run     arrive[/until]

'Wow, we ran for our lives!'

Tidore (North Halmahera; van Staden 2000: 230-1)
“Degree and intensity can be expressed by… the addition of the phrase sado... ‘until’ or sodo foo... ‘until ?we’ with a non-final intonation contour. This latter construction type indicates that something occurs ‘without limits’.”

(2)     mina    mo-reke sodo    foo...

3SG.F   3SG.F-cry       until   ?1PL.INC.A

[LA translation]: ‘She cried on and on.’

Ternate (North Halmahera; Hayami-Allen 2001:77)
“This preposition [sigado/sido/sado] means ‘till, until’… This also occurs in the clause-final position and expresses the speaker’s opinion that something has reached the point that is too much. It is common that the last vowel of sido/sado is pronounced long sentence-finally to express the disapproving attitude of the speaker.”

(3)     rehe    cum     sado

flesh   hurt    till

‘(My) muscle hurts very much.’

Biak (Austronesian > SHWNG; van den Heuvel 2006: 408)
“In clause-final position, this lengthened rao: [‘until’] may function as an intensifying adverb.”

(4)     rofan   an-ya   irík    rao:

dog     GIV-3SG.SPC     bleed.3SG       until

'The dog bled on and on.'

Wooi (Austronesian > SHWNG; Sawaki 2017)
The form k(a)ira is glossed as ‘until’ when prepositional, and ‘very’ when clause-final:

(5)     hay     kira    raria

cry.1SG until   noon

‘I cried until noon.’

(6)     kehiow  kira

angry.3SG       very

‘He is very angry.’

All the best,
Laura

Hayami-Allen, Rika, 2001. A descriptive study of the language of Ternate, the northern Moluccas, Indonesia. PhD thesis, University of Pittsburg.

van den Heuvel, Wilco, 2006. Biak: Description of an Austronesian language of Papua. Utrecht: LOT.

Litamahuputty, Betty, 2012. Ternate Malay: Grammar and texts. Utrecht: LOT.

Sawaki, Yusuf, 2017. A grammar of Wooi: An Austronesian language of Yapen Island, Western New Guinea. PhD thesis, Australian National University.

van Staden, Miriam, 2000. Tidore: A linguistic description of a language of the North Moluccas. PhD thesis, Leiden University.