[Lingtyp] Query: Elided Intensification

Joey Lovestrand joeylovestrand at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 10:12:11 UTC 2021

Hi David,

Something similar happens with the preposition *jusqu’à *at the end of a
sentence for at least some African French speakers. The examples I have are
of French translations done by Barayin speakers in Chad, but I have a faint
recollection of this also being common in Cameroonian French. When spoken
there would often be a rising intensity and possibly an elongated final
vowel.

Kalas

killa

na

abb-e-ti

tak

tak

tak

kol-e

that's.all(A)

2SG.M

BG

follow-PRF-OBJ.3SG.F

IDEO

IDEO

IDEO

go-PRF

Chadian translator: et puis tu l'as suivi jusqu'a

My interpretation: ‎‎You follow her until she's gone

ti

sule

n̰eet-o

n̰eet-o

na

damman

damman

de

kee

SBJ.3SG.F

PROG

PREP

advance-INF

advance-INF

BG

until

until

REL.SG.F

DUR(Ar)

Chadian translator: en train d'établir un peu sa santé jusqu'a

My interpretation: ‎‎It [the cow’s health] is getting better and better

Note that in these examples there is no preposition in the source text.

Joey