[Lingtyp] spatial deictic markers on 1st person verbs

Riccardo Giomi rgiomi at campus.ul.pt
Wed Aug 4 14:28:29 UTC 2021

Dear Sergey,

I don't have references to published work to share, nor data concerning
amazing crosslinguistic variation, but as an Italian who has been living in
Portugal for years I can tell you I have long been struggling with the
different uses of the movement verbs *andare/venire* (It.) and *ir/vir*
(Pt) -- resulting in my Portuguese friends mercilessly laughing at my
mistakes. Thing is in Italian you regularly use the verb *venire* ('come')
not only to speak of the addressee (or someone else) joining the speaker
but also when it is the speaker or someone else that joins the addressee,
whereas in Portuguese *vir* ('come') seems to be much more rigidly
speaker-bound. Thus, if you want to say you are going to join the
addressee, in Italian you will say *Vengo là* ('I come there') but in
(European) Portuguese you cannot say #*Venho aí / #Venho lá* but you have
to say *Vou aí* ('I go there(where you are)') if you mean you are going to
join the addressee at her/his current location, or *Vou lá* ('I go
there(where neither of us currently is)') if you mean you will join the
addressee in some other place. As far as I can tell, there does not seem to
be any relation to the utterance or event time -- the same contrasts exist
regardless of the time reference.

The same rule holds with the verbs *levar *('bring sth away from the
speaker') and *trazer* ('bring sth to the speaker'): apparently, you can
only say* Traz-me isso *('bring me that') and *Eu levo-te isto* ('I bring
you this'), never #*Leva-me isso* or *#Eu trago-te isto*.

Hope this can help some way, best wishes,
Riccardo

Sergey Loesov <sergeloesov at gmail.com> escreveu no dia quarta, 4/08/2021
à(s) 14:52:

> Dear all,
>
> What do we know, cross-linguistically, about spatial deictic markers on
> verbs of going/coming used in the first person, probably depending on the
> relationship between the utterance time and the event time?
>
> Thus, ‘I came/went here/there’ and ‘I shall come/go here/there’; ‘I
> arrived there (but I am longer there at the speech time)’, etc.
>
> I am interested in the eventual contrasts in the encoding of the direction
> of the speaker’s motion depending on this kind of variables.
>
>  I am thinking in the first place about communication of the speaker with
> an addressee (including written messages), not about narratives.
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Sergey

Riccardo Giomi, Ph.D.
Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa (FLUL)
Departamento de Linguística Geral e Românica (DLGR)