[Lingtyp] Double marking of the goal argument

Daniel Hieber hieber at ualberta.ca
Mon Aug 23 19:13:37 UTC 2021

Hi Farhad,

This is fairly common in Chitimacha, an isolate of Louisiana:

we  qaxandank   hup hi  cuug      qooksnicuk
we  qaxanda*=nk*  *hup* hi  cuw-k     qooksne-cu-k
DET old.man*=ABS* *to*  AND go(SG)-SS steal-IRR(SG)-1SG.AGT
I'll go to the old man and I'll steal it.
(Swadesh 1939: A5b.3)

we  xux  tuqunk   hup hi  quyminaqax                 qamin     ne   qami
      gan
we  xux  tuqu*=nk*  *hup* hi  quy-ma-naqa=x              qamin     ne
 qam-i         gan
DET tree hole*=ABS* *to*  AND arrive(PL)-PLACT-NF.PL=TOP something even
see-NF.SG.AGT NEG
when they reached the tree hollow [he] saw nothing
(Swadesh 1939: A30f.4)

As Peter mentioned, this occurs with non-motion verbs as well:

hus kicank   hup hi  teetiqi, [...]
hus kica*=nk*  *hup* hi  teet-iqi
3SG wife*=ABS* *to  *AND say-NF.SG
he said to his wife, [...]
(Swadesh 1939: A15a.7)

Also to Peter's point, Chitimacha's grammatical relations system has been
strongly influenced by contact (Hieber 2019a, b).

Danny