[Lingtyp] 'As soon as' constructions

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 07:29:31 UTC 2021

Hi folks- dunno if this is relevant, but in Yahgan (a critically endangered
genetic isolate from Tierra del Fuego) there is the morpheme
ku:khaitakun (colon marks tenseness of preceding vowel), which might be
translated as 'and then (immediately upon)', found in several places in the
three biblical texts translated by Thomas Bridges in the late 19th century
(but not otherwise described in surviving grammatical descriptions).
Morphologically it appears to be decomposable into ku:k(a) 'same as,
similarly', gaiata progressive suffix, and -kun, which is the present
participle. gaiata is likely related etymologically to verb haina
(irregular present tense haita) 'to go'.  I can't cite any particular line
from Luke, John, or Acts of the Apostles with ku:khaitakun off the top of
my head, but I can look and see if I can find a couple.

Jess Tauber