[Lingtyp] List of ideophones in any language

David Nash david.nash at anu.edu.au
Tue Jan 12 10:35:29 UTC 2021

OK.
How about a dictionary such as

    Alpher, Barry. 1991. /Yir-Yoront Lexicon: Sketch and Dictionary of
    an Australian Language/ (Trends in Linguistics, Documentation 6)
    Mouton de Gruyter.

which has all the recorded ideophones in the language, but only just
over a hundred in number.

It strikes me that the analogy with a Swadesh List is weak, in that
lists of that ilk are of senses all of which are expected to be
lexicalised in every language (or, almost all, in languages of a large
region); an expectation which has been borne out.

David
http://www.anu.edu.au/linguistics/nash/