[Lingtyp] Term for “non-pronominal anaphora"

Volker Gast volker.gast at uni-jena.de
Thu Jun 3 11:19:18 UTC 2021

Martin
I agree that standardization is important, and that the lack of standard
terminology is a major weakness of contemporary linguistics. I'm not sure
if Twitter is a good standardization committee though. :-)

But another factor that needs to be taken into account is the type of
noun/entity than 'x-phoric' modifies. I think many linguists use
'anaphoric pronoun' as contrasting with 'demonstrative/deictic pronoun'
(as a morphosyntactic class). 'Anaphoric reference' has a different
contrast set (e.g. 'cataphoric', 'exophoric'), and it is my impression
that it is less ambiguous than 'anaphoric pronoun'. (Note that 'cataphoric
pronoun' mostly means 'pronoun with cataphoric reference'; I'm not aware
of a language with a morphosyntactic class of elements for cataphoric
reference exclusively).

What makes things even more confusing is the use of the term 'anaphor(a)',
specifically in generative syntax, for elements that require a local
binder. But that's a different story.

I still think that the Halliday taxomony (of types of reference) makes
sense. If you want to distinguish pronouns with predominantly endophoric
uses from pronouns with predominantly exophoric uses, you can use
'anaphoric' for the former class if you like, as these pronouns (such as
English 'she') are used anaphorically in the vast majority of cases (and I
think that's where the confusion stems from). In fact, cataphoric
reference is often expressed with demonstratives ("I'll tell you this:
..."). But perhaps the more traditional terminology is not so bad after
all: The distinction between 'personal pronouns' and 'demonstratives'. In
that case we could just use 'x-phoric' as a modifier of 'reference' only,
not of 'pronoun'. "She went home" would imply a personal pronoun with
anaphoric reference. It is my impression that as a modifier of
'reference', 'anaphoric' is much less ambiguous than it is in the context
of 'pronoun'.

So the question is, would linguists feel that 'anaphoric' is ambiguous as
a modifier of 'reference', too? Your question on Twitter did not make that
clear and I suppose most respondents treated it as a modifier of
'pronoun'.

Finally, note that the ambiguity of the type observed in 'anaphoric' is
widespread in natural language: 'day' refers both to a time span of 24
hours ('one day') and one half of it ('day' vs. 'night'). Still, I agree
that ambiguity should be avoided in academic terminology. So if
'anaphoric' is in fact ambiguous, and if that ambiguity creates confusion,
replacing it with a more specific term sounds like a good idea to me.

Best,
Volker

Prof. V. Gast
https://linktype.iaa.uni-jena.de/VG