[Lingtyp] Is the connection between simplicity and intensity universal

Daniel Ross djross3 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 00:28:24 UTC 2021

Maybe simple > pure (not diluted) > complete > strong > intense?

I don't know whether this is widespread or universal, but the etymology
seems to be relatively direct and I wouldn't be surprised if it develops
independently in different languages.

The English adverb "simply" is probably somewhere between stages 2 and 3 of
that development, e.g. "It was simply amazing!" ('clearly', 'completely').
Note that "clearly" and "completely" also fit into that pathway, although
they start at stages 2 and 3 respectively.

Daniel