[Lingtyp] Double-marked passive

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Sun Mar 21 19:28:31 UTC 2021

Chao, Martin,

I agree with Chao's characterization of Mandarin (1) as being a passive
under most or all reasonable definitions thereof; however, I fail to see
why (4) cannot also be considered to be a passive. In (4), /bèi/ is not
flagging /jĭngchá/ 'police' but rather is marking the entire phrase
/jĭngchá tuō-zŏu-le/ — it may thus be analyzed as an instance of
"verb(-phrase) coding".

Many Southeast Asian languages have paradigms which correspond to that
in (1) - (4) except that, in the counterpart of (4), the agent phrase
follows rather than precedes the verb.  Such constructions are commonly
referred to as "passives", or, more specifically, as "periphrastic" or
sometimes "adversative passives".  Moreover, in such languages, the
counterpart of Mandarin /bèi/ is presumably also applying to the
verb-plus-agent phrase as a whole.  So the only obvious difference
between such constructions and Mandarin (4) is that of word order.  (I
say "*obvious* difference" because it may be the case that syntactic
tests will show that /jĭngchá/ in (4) has more subject properties than
do the usual Southeast Asian postverbal agent phrases, in which case the
prototypicality of (4) as a passive would decrease accordingly.  But has
anybody shown this to be the case?)

David