[Lingtyp] Double-marked passive

Martin Haspelmath martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Mon Mar 22 06:24:50 UTC 2021

Yes, the definition that I use presupposes an understanding of
"verb-coded" and "adposition", but this is typical of definitions: They
work only if their component parts are defined or understood clearly.

So is /bèi/ a verb-coding element in (1) and (4)? It could be said to be
"verb-phrase coding" (as David notes), but the notion of "verb phrase"
is not cross-linguistically applicable in an obvious way. So I would
restrict "passive" (as a comparative concept) to forms where the verb
has an affix (because this is the only situation in which the two sister
constructions are clearly asymmetric). Now is /bèi/ a prefix in (1)?
This would be possible only if /bèi/ in (1) and /bèi/ in (4) are two
different elements – and it seems that we do not want to say this.

Chao rightly asks: "In what sense is the English passive construction
verb-coded?" The English Passive includes an Auxiliary, but there is no
good cross-linguistic definition of "auxiliary", so we don't want to say
that auxiliaries can be criterial for passives. Some English verbs have
what looks like a passive affix (e.g. /-en/ in /tak-en/), but the
English Passive construction does not clearly fall under the definition
that I gave. (A good illustration of "passive" is Siewierska's first
example in her WALS chapter, from Swahili: /chakula kilipik-*wa* (na
Hamisi)/ 'The food was cooked by Hamisi').

There is a tradition of appealing to "tests for subject properties"
(going back to Keenan 1976), but this seems appropriate only at the
language-particular level. Since these tests are different in different
languages, this approach does not work well in a comparative context.

Best,
Martin