[Lingtyp] terminological question about local cases/adpositions

Michael Daniel misha.daniel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 14:59:07 UTC 2021

Yes, this is exactly how the terms are used in East Caucasian linguistics.

The category itself, which is inflectional in East Caucasian, is sometimes
called localization, or spatial case, so people would say 'The Inter
localization is formally combined with In' and similar.

The problem with terms like Gilles' sublocative for the same morpheme - I
must admit, probably a mildly structuralist one - is that the term suggests
that the morpheme expresses static location, Place (or Place combined with
Goal). However, the same morpheme in a wordform where it is followed by an
elative suffix cannot be interpreted as Place or Goal anymore, under the
conventional view of inflection.

Michael

ср, 24 мар. 2021 г. в 17:45, Christian Lehmann <