[Lingtyp] terminological question about local cases/adpositions

Greville Corbett g.corbett at surrey.ac.uk
Wed Mar 24 15:09:23 UTC 2021

One solution is to use the Latin APUD, SUB, SUPER and so on, where APUD generalises over apud-essive and apud-lative, and so on. I believe that was done by Aleksandr Kibrik (sorry I can’t find the right source at present). Compare Daniel & Ganenkov in their chapter on case marking in Dagestanian languages in the Handbook of Case (Malchukov & Spencer). This extracts the first part of your pairs of terms, and it gives enough distance to avoid the English problem.
Very best, Grev