[Lingtyp] Fwd: Uncertainty over the use of the term "vocativ e" in this instance

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Tue May 11 08:49:05 UTC 2021

Hi All,
Stephen is correct that there is a particle, or whatever you want to call it, ʔa in spoken Mandarin (and to some extent in other Sinitic varieties) that is used for both vocative and utterance-final emphatic uses. It is not generally talked about as a grammatical marker like a vocative case, but just an optional pragmatic marker for emphasis. It can appear within the utterance intonation unit or in the case of making sure someone is paying attention and has registered what you just said, particularly when giving advice or an order, it can appear stressed and in an intonation unit by itself.

Sorry I don’t have natural examples to hand. A proper study should be done of the conditions for its use.

Randy
-----
Randy J. LaPolla, PhD FAHA (羅仁地)
Professor of Linguistics, with courtesy appointment in Chinese, School of Humanities
Nanyang Technological University
HSS-03-45, 48 Nanyang Avenue | Singapore 639818
http://randylapolla.info/ <http://randylapolla.info/>
(personal.ntu.edu.sg/randylapolla <http://personal.ntu.edu.sg/randylapolla>)
Most recent books:
The Sino-Tibetan Languages, 2nd Edition (2017)
https://www.routledge.com/The-Sino-Tibetan-Languages-2nd-Edition/LaPolla-Thurgood/p/book/9781138783324 <https://www.routledge.com/The-Sino-Tibetan-Languages-2nd-Edition/LaPolla-Thurgood/p/book/9781138783324>
Sino-Tibetan Linguistics (2018)
https://www.routledge.com/Sino-Tibetan-Linguistics/LaPolla/p/book/9780415577397 <https://www.routledge.com/Sino-Tibetan-Linguistics/LaPolla/p/book/9780415577397>