[Lingtyp] typology of verbalization / adjectivalization

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 21:01:17 UTC 2021

In Yahgan (from Tierra del Fuego), most nominals are derived from verbs or
adjectives by addition of dedicated suffixes. But you can also create new
verbs by adding suffixes and/or voice prefixes to nominal or adjectival
stems. These processes are openly productive.

For example, you can take the noun/adj. root lvmbi (v stands for schwa)
'dark, black' and add the stative suffix -(v)na to create lvmbi:na 'be
black', or the former plus achievement suffix -(a)ta to make lvmbi:nata
'become black' (colon marks tenseness of the vowel preceding it). u:- is a
permissive-causative prefix, so u-lvmbi:-na 'let be black', u-lvmbi:-na-ta
'let become black'; tu- causative, so tu:-lvmbi:-na (make be black),
tu:-lvmbi:-na-ta (make become black), and so on.  Nominals are treated
identically to adjectives.

Jess Tauber