[Lingtyp] 'eye' > singulative marker?

Jussi Ylikoski jussi.ylikoski at oulu.fi
Fri Oct 15 10:11:28 UTC 2021

Dear all,

Thank you to Randy, Alex and Jess for your help, and thanks also to those who have replied me off-list! It appears that my question was not banal, since there are obvious parallels to my own data here and there, but definitely not all over, and apparently nothing fully analogous to the 'eye' singulatives (or individualizers) in Uralic and Yeniseian. In their off-list messages, Nikolett F. Gulyás and Mark Post referred to similar classifiers in the Turkic languages of the Volga-Kama region and in Padam Adi (Trans-Himalayan/Sino-Tibetan > Tani, NE India), respectively.

As regards Randy's comment on the 'mesh of the net', this is indeed the most common secondary meaning of many Uralic "eyes" as well.

What strikes me most interesting is the Austronesian multi-purpose *maCa – the data behind Alex's link https://www.trussel2.com/acd/acd-s_m.htm#30830 is overwhelming. There seem to be many Austronesian "knee eyes" or "eyes of the knee" referring to knees and kneecaps, not unlike Lule Saami (Saami) buolvvatjalmme, Forest Enets (Samoyed) fuase and Selkup (Samoyed) pulhaj (<< PU *pu/oxli 'knee' + *ćilmä 'eye') in Uralic. At the other end of the spectrum, Mwotlap mete vit "eye star" (Alex: "a star (taken individually)") has a parallel in Selkup qaškathaj 'single star'.

I also encountered Robert Blust's (2011) multifaceted paper "'Eye of the day': a response to Urban (2010)" at https://www.researchgate.net/publication/236819367_%27Eye_of_the_Day%27_A_Response_to_Urban_2010.

Finally, I want to preadvertise Chris Lasse Däbritz's forthcoming paper "Typology of number systems in languages of Western and Central Siberia", to be published in Finnisch-Ugrische
Forschungen (https://journal.fi/fuf) within a few weeks. My own work in progress (on Uralic *ćilmä) has been condensed in a poster found at http://cc.oulu.fi/~jylikosk/filer/singulative.pdf.

Best regards,

Jussi