[Lingtyp] Truth markers

Carl Whitehead carlrwhitehead at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 04:51:52 UTC 2021

In Menya (Angan sub-family, Trans New Guinea family in Papua New Guinea),
the expression for ‘true’ (often used as a response to a question or a
affirmation of agreement and also as an adjective or noun) is naqä qakuä,
where naqä is ‘big’ and qakuä is ‘stump, base of a tree’ or ‘basis, reason’.
In church circles, the expression is also used at the end of prayers as
‘amen.’