[Lingtyp] Truth markers

Adam James Ross Tallman ajrtallman at utexas.edu
Thu Oct 21 12:00:48 UTC 2021

Hey Mira,

Are you looking for referential modifiers or truth marking that scopes over
predicates / whole propositions?

For nouns / referential expressions in Chacobo

"veridative" is marked through reduplication + -ria. For instance, *honi *'man'
vs. *honi honi-ria *'real man' which could be used to emphasize the
man-like properties of a person. *-ria *is a 'simulative', that by itself
marks that something is similar to N... I don't think nominal reduplication
occurs outside of this context.

For propositions, the expression *jabija *[haβiha] 'true', is the closest I
can think of. It is *haβi *'custom, tradition, surely, obviously' with
(probably) *ha(a) *'yes'...

But what is the main semantic test for knowing that something is a 'truth
marker'? There are surely overlapping contexts here, but what 'true' even
means seems like a very complicated ethnographic question ...
best,

Adam

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 2:00 AM Mira Ariel <mariel at tauex.tau.ac.il> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> My student, Shirly Orr, and I are interested in truth markers, such as
> *true*, *real, right*.
>
> Are they frequently attested in natural languages?
>
> We're interested in etymological sources for them, as well as meanings
> they evolve to express.
>
> Any leads on literature we can dig up?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Mira Ariel