[Lingtyp] Truth markers

Pier Marco Bertinetto piermarco.bertinetto at sns.it
Sat Oct 23 14:57:56 UTC 2021

There is more to say about Italian.
First, _ovvero_ can have two meanings: 'or' and 'i.e.'. Neither of them is
relevant to the initial query, if I understood it.
Second, the adjective _vero_ has devolped a phatic adverbial usage, again
of a double nature:
- as confirmation request at the end of a statement (_l'hai visto, vero?_
'you saw it, am I right?'); cf. the Spanish usage of _verdad_ 'truth'.
- as pure phatic element, often repeated, sometimes even excessively, by
some speakers; it is most likely used by some educated speakers and it is
perhaps old-fashoned nowadays (but this might be a mere impression of mine).
Best
Pier Marco

Il giorno gio 21 ott 2021 alle ore 13:48 Riccardo Giomi <rgiomi at campus.ul.pt>
ha scritto:

> ...And then of course you have the rhetorical/discourse-marker use of
> ablative *vero* in Latin to mean 'in particular, specifically, that is',
> etc.. This survives in the Italian form *ovvero*, which I would assume
> derives from agglutination of the disjunctive preposition/conjunction *o*
> ('or') + *vero* ('true').
>
> Best,
>
> Carl Whitehead <carlrwhitehead at gmail.com> escreveu no dia quinta,
> 21/10/2021 à(s) 06:52:
>
>> In Menya (Angan sub-family, Trans New Guinea family in Papua New Guinea),
>> the expression for ‘true’ (often used as a response to a question or a
>> affirmation of agreement and also as an adjective or noun) is *naq**ä**
>> qaku**ä*,  where *naq**ä* is ‘big’ and *qaku**ä* is ‘stump, base of a
>> tree’ or ‘basis, reason’. In church circles, the expression is also used
>> at the end of prayers as ‘amen.’

             ------             professore emerito
            ///////          Scuola Normale Superiore
           -------	       p.za dei Cavalieri 7
          ///////    	         I-56126 PISA
         -------              phone: +39 050 509111
        ///////
       -------                        HOME
      ///////                   via Matteotti  197
     -------                   I-55049 Viareggio LU
    ///////                   phone:  +39 0584 652417
   -------                    cell.:  +39 368 3830251
       editor of "Italian Journal of Linguistics"
  webpage <https://www.sns.it/it/bertinetto-pier-marco>
"Laboratorio di Linguistica" <http://linguistica.sns.it>