[Lingtyp] Truth markers

Doris Payne dlpayne at uoregon.edu
Thu Oct 21 17:06:08 UTC 2021

In Maa (Maasai), the expression sɪ́pa ‘true!’ is based on a middle-formation of the transitive verb root sɪp ´to strip completely clean’.

Depending on the nature of the object and context, the root sɪp can be rendered into English as meaning ‘strip completely clean, make spotlessly clean’, ‘make totally smooth’, ‘smooth out or bless a situation’, ‘do thoroughly’, ‘completely ruin, destroy’, ‘justify a wrong by getting even -- to the point of killing someone’, ‘kill’, ‘say correctly (e.g. with good grammar and pronunciation), ‘speak truthfully’, ‘be completely certain of sth.’, ‘find out and substantiate the truth about sth.’

  *   Doris Payne