[Lingtyp] Truth markers

Wesley Kuhron Jones wesleykuhronjones at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 16:51:17 UTC 2021

In Horokoi (previously known as Wasembo), a Trans-New Guinea language which
I have just started documenting, there is a rich system of demonstratives.
One of these, "khaingu" (that one), is used as a truth marker when uttered
alone. The speakers calque this into their Tok Pisin by saying "Em!" (It!)
to mean "That's right!"

WKJ