[Lingtyp] Truth markers

Peter Austin pa2 at soas.ac.uk
Thu Oct 21 12:17:40 UTC 2021

The Gamilaraay language, traditionally spoken in northern New South Wales,
has a particle giirr or giirru that appears in sentence-initial position to
indicate that the proposition expressed by the following words is true,
e.g. giirr ngaya Gamilaraay guwaaldanha 'I truly/really am speaking
Gamilaraay'. It can be used by itself as an interjection to express '(That
is) true.'

If you want references or more examples email me.

Best
Peter