[Lingtyp] Non-present lexemes

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Fri Dec 2 15:03:06 UTC 2022

Dear all,

in Finland, prescriptivist laypeople often point out that the Finnish expression "lähiaikoina" (lähi-aiko-i-na near-time-PL-ESSIVE) "should" mean ’in the near future, soon’ (this is how normative dictionaries define its meaning) but is sometimes "wrongly" used in the meaning ’recently, in the near past’ – which some people seem to find exceptionally annoying.

Best
Johanna
--
Univ.Prof. Dr. Johanna Laakso
Universität Wien, Institut für Europäische und Vergleichende Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaft (EVSL)