[Lingtyp] Approximative numerals with emotive content

Bill Palmer bill.palmer at newcastle.edu.au
Wed Feb 23 00:25:53 UTC 2022

Hi Amanda

Someone’s probably already pointed this out, but English also has ‘squillion’ and ‘gazillion’ for much larger indeterminate numbers than ‘umpteen’.

Bill

Associate Professor Bill Palmer
Lead Investigator, OzSpace project
Landscape, language and culture in Indigenous Australia.
Vice-President (Research Support), Australian Linguistics Society

bill.palmer at newcastle.edu.au<mailto:bill.palmer at newcastle.edu.au>
newcastle.edu.au/profile/Bill-Palmer<https://newcastle.edu.au/profile/firstname-lastname>
College of Human & Social Futures
The University of Newcastle
University Drive, Callaghan NSW 2308 Australia