[Lingtyp] R: Approximative numerals with emotive content

Lidia Federica Mazzitelli lfmazzitelli at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 16:23:20 UTC 2022

Dear Amanda,

personally in Italian I use *trenta *(30), *trentamila *(30.000),
*diciassettemila
*(17.000), *quarantamila *(40.000), cinquantamila (50.000),
quarantasettemila (47.000), *settantamila* (70.000), *mille *(1000), *millemila
*(not a real number: means ‘one thousand thousands’), *centomila *(‘100.000’),
*centocinquantamila *(150.000), *cinquecentomila *(500.000), un milione (a
million). These all have a pragmatic nuance of annoyance and complaining,
for me. Usual contexts are "I've told you this already 47.000 times!",
"students always have 17.000 questions one has to reply to", "your building
has 50.000 different staircases, I always get lost' et similia.

Now, Looking briefly online, I’ve only found *mille, trentamila *and
*centocinquantamila
*as conventionalized expressions for an undetermined large amount. I am not
really sure whether the above mentioned numbers are just my idiolect or
other people in Italy use them, too - I never paid too much attention. It's
my impression that in Italian you can use any number in the thousands in
this function.

The expressions un centinaio/un migliaio Paolo Ramat mentioned  before are
widely used as generic expressions for "many", only they don't have (at
least that's my intuition) a particular emotive value.

Sorry if this was more impressionistic than informative, hope you can find
more information!

All the best

Lidia

Inviato da Posta <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> per