[Lingtyp] 'until' clauses in Africa

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Wed Jan 5 17:05:34 UTC 2022

Dear Jesús, all,

In a literary style of Modern Hebrew, one way of marking excessivity is
with the expression /la-ʕayefa/ 'to-tiredness'; examples cited in the
website of the Academy of the Hebrew Language make it clear that the
tiredness is not necessarily meant literally.

Website:https://hebrew-academy.org.il/2015/11/01/%D7%9C%D7%A2%D7%99%D7%99%D7%A4%D7%94/[in
Hebrew]

The same website attributes this usage to Biblical Hebrew, specifically
Isaiah 46:1 "כָּרַע בֵּל קֹרֵס נְבו, הָיוּ עֲצַבֵּיהֶם לַחַיָּה
וְלַבְּהֵמָה; נְשֻׂאֹתֵיכֶם עֲמוּסוֹת מַשָּׂא לַעֲיֵפָה", which, in the
King James translation, reads " Bel boweth down, Nebo stoopeth; their
idols were upon the beasts and upon the cattle. Your carriages were
heavy laden; they are a burden to the weary beast".

However, in this particular Biblical Hebrew verse, "weary" does seem to
permit a literal interpretation, suggesting that the semantic extension
evident in Modern Hebrew took place subsequent to the Biblical
period.But I leave it to those who know more about the history of Hebrew
than I do to pass judgement on this.

David

Email:gil at shh.mpg.de