[Lingtyp] 'until' clauses in Africa

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Wed Jan 5 16:34:57 UTC 2022

Dear Jesús, all,

In the Papuan dialect of Malay, /sampe/ 'arrive' / 'until' may occur in
the following two constructions, which, although not the same as the
West African ones, seem to bear a family resemblance:

(1) A sampe

(2) V sampeeeH X

In (1), A is a scalar adjective, and /sampe/ has the effect of an
intensifier, 'very A'.This construction occurs only utterance finally,
and the intonational peak is on the A, with /sampe/ associated with a
low "afterethought-like" contour.

In (2) /sampe/ fuses with an ideophone consisting of a super-long [e]
associated with High (or High falling) pitch.The meaning of (2) is 'V
for a very long time until X'.

Similar constructions occur also in some of the local languages of North
West New Guinea; Laura Arnold has looked at some of these.

These two constructions differ from the West African ones in that they
lack an explicit expression meaning 'getting tired':in (1) there is
nothing, while in (2) there is an overt expression X that is interpreted
literally.However, they share with the West African constructions a
somewhat unexpected association between a form meaning 'until' and a
notion of excessivity, or, in the case of (2) 'long time'.

I'd be interested in hearing of similar constructions in other languages.

David

On 05/01/2022 17:56, Jesus Francisco Olguin Martinez wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I hope this email finds you well.
>
> I send you this message because in my sample there are a couple of
> African languages (e.g. Tommo So and Bangime) that have a narrative
> construction in which the /until/-clause appears with a verb meaning
> ‘to get tired’ (e.g. /I worked I worked until I get tired/). Note that
> this clause does not necessarily denote literal weariness or physical
> fatigue. Instead, this construction is used in contexts where speakers
> express that they carried out an activity for a very long time (e.g.
> /I worked I worked for a very long time/). In this type of
> construction,  the first clause in linear order denotes a prolonged
> activity and is followed by a clause meaning ‘until I got tired’
> emphasizing the extreme prolongation of the first situation.
>
> I was wondering if you know any study that has explored this type of
> construction or if you know any other African languages that have this
> type of construction.
>
> Thank you very much in advance.
>
> Best,
>
> --
> Jesús Olguín Martínez
> Ph.D. Candidate, Dept. of Linguistics
> /University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)/
> http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/people/jesús-olguín-martínez
> <http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/people/jes%C3%BAs-olgu%C3%ADn-mart%C3%ADnez>

David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Deutscher Platz 6, Leipzig, 04103, Germany

Email:gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-526117713
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81344082091