[Lingtyp] Negation marks adverbial clauses

Bernhard Wälchli bernhard at ling.su.se
Wed Jan 12 11:31:38 UTC 2022

Dear Mohammad,

Dear all

Below there is some selected literature on expletive negation. In temporal clauses, negation is common especially in
=’before’: extremely widespread cross-linguistically, see e.g. Hetterle’s (2015) typological monograph.
=’until’: seems to be very restricted areally, mainly Eastern Europe & Caucasus and South Asia (Indo-Aryan and Indo-sphere Sino-Tibetan), but also Paumarí (maybe due to influence from Portuguese enquanto...não ?). In Eastern Europe and in Indo-Aryan, this seems to be a parallel rather recent development (i.e. not going back to Indo-European). An interesting question is how the possible areal relationship between modern Indo-Aryan and Indo-sphere Sino-Tibetan looks like: “as long as not” for ‘until’ is very common in some Sino-Tibetan languages. I think it is an interesting question as to what extent this may be due to contact with modern Indo-Aryan languages.
=”as soon as”: and there seems to be least typological research about this, but it is probably not at all uncommon with different sorts of constructions with negation strategies in “as soon as”, as e.g. in Turkish the -r -mez converb construction ben oturur oturmaz telefon çaldı ‘as soon as I sat down, the telephone rang’ “I sitting.down not.sitting.down telefon rang” (Lewis 2000: 182).

I think part of the explanation of where expletive negation can be found in temporal clauses is the following:
=Temporal clauses are temporal in two senses: a) related to time and b) not-permanent. A temporal clause cannot express a permanent state, but negation is not compatible with temporal clauses – to the extent it is not semantically phasal (“not yet” or “no longer”; cf. Heinämäki’s 1974: 183 example: When the lights were not on, we took a nap. cannot mean that the lights were never on, negation must be interpreted phasally here, that the lights probably were on most for of the time or at least quite often.). Which opens up for negation markers being used for other senses than polarity in temporal clauses.
=Negation expresses non-identity rather than identity. In temporal clauses, simultaneous is identity of events and posterior and anterior is non-identity of events. It would be utterly strange if negation was used in simultaneous temporal clauses (‘when, while’), I do not know of a single example of this and wonder whether there are any. It is, however, very clearly understandable that negation can be deployed for posterior meanings (‘before’ and ‘until’) and for some anterior ones (especially ‘as soon as’) since posterior and anterior is non-identity of times.

Some selected literature on expletive negation:
Abels, Klaus. 2005. “Expletive negation” in Russian: a conspiracy theory. Journal of Slavic Linguistics 13.1, 5–74.
Espinal, M. Teresa. 2000. Expletive negation, negative concord and feature checking. Catalan Working Papers in Linguistics 8: 47-69.
Greco, M. 2020. On the syntax of surprise negation sentences: A case study on expletive negation. Natural Language & Linguistic Theory 38(3), 775–825.
Iordanskaja, L. & I. Mel’čuk. 2009. Semantics of the Russian conjunction poka ‘while, before, until’. In T. Berger, M. Giger, S. Kurt & I. Mendoza, Hg., Von grammatischen Kategorien und sprachlichen Weltbildern – Die Slavia von der Sprachgeschichte bis zur Politsprache. Wiener Slawistischer Almanach. Sonderband 73, 253–262. München.
Jin, Y. and Koenig, J.P., 2020. A cross-linguistic study of expletive negation.  Linguistic Typology 2021; 25(1): 39–78.
Wälchli, B. 2018/2019. ‘As long as’,’until’ and ‘before’ clauses. Baltic Linguistics 9, 141–236. http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1351829/FULLTEXT01.pdf

Further references
Heinämäki, Orvokki Tellervo. 1974. Semantics of English temporal clauses. Ph.D. thesis. The University of Texas at Austin.
Hetterle, Katja. 2015. Adverbial Clauses in Cross-Linguistic Perspective. Berlin: De Grutyer Mouton.
Lewis, Geoffrey. 2000. Turkish Grammar. 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Best
Bernhard