[Lingtyp] Negation marks adverbial clauses

Riccardo Giomi rgiomi at campus.ul.pt
Wed Jan 12 12:12:25 UTC 2022

 Dear all,

Besides temporal clauses introduced by *finché non *('until not'), Italian
has at least another type of adverbial clauses in which (expletive?)
negation may optionally occur, namely comparative clauses of the type *Giovanni
è più intelligente* *di quanto (non) lo sia Mario / di quanto (non) si
pensi* ('Giovanni is more intelligent than Mario / than is thought').

Best wishes,
Riccardo

Guillaume Jacques <rgyalrongskad at gmail.com> escreveu no dia quarta,
12/01/2022 à(s) 12:39:

>> =’until’: seems to be very restricted areally, mainly Eastern Europe &
>> Caucasus and South Asia (Indo-Aryan and Indo-sphere Sino-Tibetan), but also
>> Paumarí (maybe due to influence from Portuguese *enquanto...não* ?). In
>> Eastern Europe and in Indo-Aryan, this seems to be a parallel rather recent
>> development (i.e. not going back to Indo-European). An interesting question
>> is how the possible areal relationship between modern Indo-Aryan and
>> Indo-sphere Sino-Tibetan looks like: “as long as not” for ‘until’ is very
>> common in some Sino-Tibetan languages. I think it is an interesting
>> question as to what extent this may be due to contact with modern
>> Indo-Aryan languages.
>>

> In the Sino-Tibetan family, expletive negation in "until" clauses is not
> restricted to languages under Indo-Aryan influence, it is also found for
> instance in Gyalrongic, see (A grammar of Japhug | Language Science Press
> (langsci-press.org) <https://langsci-press.org/catalog/book/295>,
> §25.3.2.3, p.1400.
>

> --
> Guillaume Jacques
>
> Directeur de recherches
> CNRS (CRLAO) - EPHE- INALCO
> https://scholar.google.fr/citations?user=1XCp2-oAAAAJ&hl=fr
> https://langsci-press.org/catalog/book/295
> <http://cnrs.academia.edu/GuillaumeJacques>
> http://panchr.hypotheses.org/

Riccardo Giomi, Ph.D.
University of Liège
Département de langues modernes : linguistique, littérature et traduction
Research group *Linguistique contrastive et typologie des langues*
F.R.S.-FNRS Postdoctoral fellow (CR - FC 43095)