[Lingtyp] languages lacking a verb for 'give'

Hilary Chappell hmchappell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 18:28:40 UTC 2022

Hi, Matthew!

Waxiang (unclassified Sinitic, Hunan) is another case of a language without
a verb ‘to give’, using a construction with get to formulate this. e.g.

zɤ33     *kai55    *u25       tɤ33      tɕhia25  i55.

3sg      dat     1sg      get       clf      clothes

‘He gave me a shirt.’ □他跟我得件衣。

(lit. He to-me get a shirt.)

I wouldn't consider this construction as containing two clauses though. It
looks more like the Oceanic examples in some of the other responses to your
question.  Note that the dative/benefactive use of *kai*55 has evolved from
a comitative preposition which itself derives from a verb meaning 'to
follow'. Tom Güldeman (2013) has also written about the get/give
alternation in Tuu languages.

A detailed study by Zhang Min (2011) shows that there is in fact a whole
swathe of Sinitic languages in central and southern China that do not
possess a verb of giving. Typically, they use either get/take, like
Waxiang, or directional verbs including pass/cross over, as in many Yue
dialects, including 19th century Cantonese, the latter described in Chin
(2010).

Chin, Andy C. 2010. Two types of indirect object markers in Chinese: Their
typological significance and development. *Journal of Chinese Linguistics*
38:1-25.

Güldemann, Tom. 2013. Using minority languages to inform the historical
analysis of major written languages. A Tuu perspective on the ‘give’⁓
object marker polysemy in Sinitic. *Journal of Asian and African Studies*
85:1-18.

Zhang Min张敏. 2011. Hànyǔ fāngyán shuāng jí wù jiégòu nánběi chāyì de
chéngyīn: Lèixíng xué yánjiū yǐnfā de xīn wèntí 汉语方言双及物结构南北差异的成因:
类型学研究引发的新问题(Revisiting the alignment typology of ditransitive constructions
in Chinese dialects.) *Bulletin of Chinese linguistics*  4.2 : 87-270.

Hilary Chappell
Chair Professor in the Typology of East Asian languages / Directrice
d'études en typologie linguistique de l'Asie orientale
Ecole des hautes études en sciences sociales (EHESS)
Centre de recherches linguistiques sur l'Asie orientale (CRLAO)
Paris