[Lingtyp] semantic role of participant that needs something

Patrick Daitya patrickdaitya at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 04:58:43 UTC 2022

Hi Christian and Juergen,

This is a really interesting thread so I hope you don't mind if I
contribute some thoughts! My colleague (Grace Ephraums, Monash University)
and I have been investigating a similar idea but from the perspective of
nominal morphology. Your meaning A, Juergen, of negative possession is what
has been typically called the "privative" in literature on Australian
languages, referring to a nominal morpheme. And what we've been
investigating together is where the negative possession (what we call LACK)
causes a negative effect, or perhaps a failure to reach the goal - not sure
yet on what exactly to call this, but we've been calling this bit "REASON".
Our canonical examples of this have come from Yankunytjatjara and
Yuwaalaraay/Gamilaraay. Here's an example:

Kurun-na                          kuya             ngara-nyi,
anku-tjiratja
spirit(NOM)-1sg(NOM)    bad(NOM)    stand-PRES    sleep-DEPRIV(NOM)
‘I’m uneasy, for want of sleep’
Yankunytjatjara (kdd)
Goddard, 1983 (p. 132)

It's got some interesting applications where it interacts with kinship
terms, interrogatives, and body-part nouns. But anyways - I don't think
this is particularly necessarily unique to Australian languages, but what
might be unique is the colexification of meanings A and B onto one
morpheme. To study something like this cross-linguistically would require,
if not refinement of semantic roles of the participant, then at least a
clear comparative idea of need/fulfillment. The interaction with body-part
nouns makes me think it really is about not just a negative effect, but a
negative effect that is implied to be a 'state where the participant is not
whole'. The most common scenarios I've observed in the data in Australian
languages with the deprivative is that the participant is hungry, dead,
thirsty, uneasy, etc. - states that imply some impairment of usual
functioning.

So I'm not sure what you should use if you want to code examples of "X
needs Y" with 'classic' semantic roles, whatever that is. 'Experiencer'
would seem the most appropriate for most of the Australian data I've looked
at with the deprivative, though possessor would suffice and perhaps be
better for cases where there's no judgement about what the lack of Y
causes. Good luck and I hope this was of any use! Happy to chat about this
with anyone interested.