[Lingtyp] An ideophone for cough?

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Fri Mar 11 18:18:49 UTC 2022

Dear Raffaele,

while I have no ideophone for 'cough' to offer, the following
considerations may prove helpful:

For some time, German has had a verb form which is morphologically the
pure stem and whose syntactic distribution is essentially that of
interjections. /Hust/ 'cough' and /hüstel/ 'cough slightly' are among
these, just as /gähn/ 'yawn', /grins/ 'grin' and many others. German
grammarians call them /Inflektiv/ (inflective). (Inflectives may be
onomatopoetic if the verb happens to be onomatopoetic; but this does not
concern their essence.) They doubtless gained popularity in translations
of English cartoons. The German wikipedia, and only this one, has an
article on them.

Some of the earlier answers to your question appear to concern
inflectives. Regardless of whether they are onomatopoetic, I do not
think inflectives should be subsumed under ideophones; but that, of
course, depends on your definition of ideophone.

Again, several of the forms offered in this thread are clearly not
inflectives. Then again the question arises whether such words are
ideophones. An ideophone holistically represents the perceptual
impression of a situation; and on account of its holistic character, it
either does not integrate into clause syntax or may at most be added as
an adjunct. Does, e.g., /ahem/ have the same distribution as the typical
ideophone, like /zig-zag/ and /helter-skelter/? It might rather be an
interjection.

Sorry for these qualms.

Cheers, Christian

Am 11.03.2022 um 10:58 schrieb Raffaele Simone:

> Dear all,
>
> working on a paper on ideophones and their place in grammar and
> lexicon I happened to wonder how things are concerning cough.
>
> Romance languages and other which I am familiar with do not seem to
> have a standard ideophone for it and even less a stable an accepted
> written version of it.
>
> Do you know languages that have an ideophone for cough and even more a
> way of indicating it in writing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Raffaele
>
> --
> ===============
> Emeritus Professor, Università Roma Tre
> Hon C Lund University
> Membre de l'Académie Royale de Belgique
> Chevalier de l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres de France
> Accademico della Crusca

Prof. em. Dr. Christian Lehmann
Rudolfstr. 4
99092 Erfurt