[Lingtyp] [etnolinguistica] Reduplication for negation marking

Hein van der Voort hvoort at xs4all.nl
Sat Mar 12 17:36:05 UTC 2022

Dear Jorge,

I don't know whether this is useful for your purpose. As Katharina Haude (2014) shows, in Movima reduplication is not a very productive means to express emphasis. However, emphatic negation may involve reduplication (as in NEG know~RED-etc. 'know absolutely nothing'). Note that this does not imply that reduplication itself expresses negation there; it just seems more productive for emphasis when under negation.

Haude, Katharina. 2014. Reduplication in Movima: A prosodic morphology approach. In: Reduplication in indigenous languages of South America, ed. by Gale Goodwin Gomez & Hein van der Voort. Leiden: Brill, p. 343-373.

Best regards,
Hein van der Voort