[Lingtyp] An ideophone for cough?

Siva Kalyan sivakalyan.princeton at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 02:33:47 UTC 2022

I disagree with the transcription in Wiktionary; I usually hear [ʔɜ͡ʢ(ʔ)ʔɜ͡ʢm] (where [ʢ] represents a voiced epiglottal trill). Indeed, I would never write [mˈm̥m] as ahem, but rather as mm-hmm.

Also, Japanese has goho-goho and koho-koho for “real” coughing, and gohon or kohon for a fake cough intended to get someone’s attention. In both cases, the voicing is determined by how heavy the coughing is.

Tamil has lokku-lokku for a phlegmy cough; I’ve also heard garr burr for throat-clearing. I’m not sure if there is an ideophone for a dry cough.

Siva