[Lingtyp] An ideophone for cough?

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 13:55:52 UTC 2022

I've studied phonosemantics in mimetic/ideophonic terms for more than 40
years. Crosslinguistically, in general, I find that in many cases initial
velar stops encode the notion of DEPTH (a kind of 'potential well'- like
the gravity well of a planet, a volumetric space it is difficult to climb
out of, despite one's best efforts)- so clearing one's throat would have a
natural connection. Lots of languages have velar stop-initial mimetic words
relating to the throat (its orientation relative to the head, for example,
when a dog barks it will straighten out its head, making the path from the
lungs to the lips much more direct).

Jess Tauber

Virus-free.
www.avg.com