[Lingtyp] terms for days after tomorrow

Christian Döhler christian.doehler at posteo.de
Fri Mar 25 10:25:03 UTC 2022

Dear Samira,

The languages of the Yam family in Southern New Guinea have
non-compositional terms for the after tomorrow, which are
bi-directional. For example /nama/ in Komnzo can mean `the day before
yesterday' or `the day after tomorrow', or /kayé /can be either
`yesterday' or `tomorrow'. There is a paragraph on these in the Komnzo
grammar <https://langsci-press.org/catalog/book/212> on page 97.

Best,

Christian

Am 19.03.22 um 08:48 schrieb Samira Verhees:
> Dear Lingtyp list,
>
> A student of mine is collecting data on lexemes denoting consecutive
> days after tomorrow in East Caucasian (and neighboring) languages, and
> we were wondering if anyone here knows of any typological research
> that discusses the encoding of this concept (or perhaps more broadly
> systems of naming days and their diachronic development), or any
> language-specific work that explores such terms in some detail.
>
> In some East Caucasian languages, there are unique, non-compositional
> terms for the day after tomorrow, the day after the day after
> tomorrow, for up to 6 days after tomorrow. We have been able to find
> some languages that also have a non-compositional term for the day
> after the day after tomorrow, for example, but we can't seem to find
> anything more elaborate than examples on internet fora or short
> sentences in reference grammars.
>

> Best,
>
> Samira Verhees

Dr. Christian Döhler
Leibniz-Zentrum Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft (ZAS)
Schützenstraße 18
10117 Berlin
Raum: 445
Tel.: +49 30 20192 412