[Lingtyp] Items that make frequency/rate/tempo modifiers from nouns

Elizabeth Coppock eecoppock at gmail.com
Mon May 23 17:58:34 UTC 2022

Dear all,

I am working on compiling a list of lexical items (words, affixes, or
constructions) that take a noun and produce an adverb that expresses a
frequency, rate, or tempo. Examples include:

- English -ly as in "daily", "monthly" (which seems to be limited to a
small set of time expressions in the relevant usage; *He gave a playly
breakdown of the game.)
- The English "X-by-X" construction, as in "day by day", "brick by brick"
(instances of which have been described as "pluractional adverbials")
- Hungarian -nként as in "naponként" 'daily', "hektaronként" 'by hectare"
- Reduplicated nouns in Hebrew as in "yom yom" 'day [by] day', or "mizvada
mizvada 'suitcase [by] suitcase' (Gil 1995)

What I'm looking for could be described as "items that create pluractional
adverbials when combined with a noun", where the noun specifies some
increment at which the event type in question takes place. Googling
"pluractional adverbials" does not produce a lot of results outside of
English, so I wonder if there is a better term to search by.

(Pluractionality markers that go on verbs and reduplicated numerals would
not fit the description, but a lot of reduplicated nouns probably would.)

Any and all leads would be most appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers,

Liz Coppock
Department of Linguistics
Boston University