[Lingtyp] before and after

Nigel Vincent nigel.vincent at manchester.ac.uk
Thu May 26 05:53:49 UTC 2022

Dear All,
In the Romance and Germanic languages I'm familiar with the words meaning 'before' and 'after' often have etymologies which involve a comparative or superlative suffix - e.g. the -ter in after or Italian prima 'before' from the Latin word for 'first' and with the same suffix as optimus 'best'. I'd be grateful for:
 a) similar examples from other languages
 b) any references to literature where this general pattern is discussed.
Thanks in advance.
Nigel

Professor Nigel Vincent, FBA MAE
Professor Emeritus of General & Romance Linguistics
The University of Manchester

Linguistics & English Language
School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
The University of Manchester