[Lingtyp] Insubordinate 'until' clauses

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Mon Sep 26 23:56:15 UTC 2022

Dear Jésus, all,

I'm not entirely sure whether this falls within the scope of what you're
looking for, but in Papuan Malay, /sampe /'arrive'/'until' may also
occur in simple main clauses, where it takes on a intensifying meaning,
for example:

Dia tertawa sampe
3SG laugh UNTIL
'He laughed hard'

Note, however, that the final position of /sampe/ would seem to prelude
/dia tertawa /as being analyzed as its complement, which seems to be the
kind of construction that the query is seeking.

A similar construction to the Papuan Malay one is found also in Ambel
(South Halmahera West New Guinea, Austronesian), as described by Arnold
(2018:144).

Arnold, Laura. 2018./A Grammar of Ambel, An Austronesian Language of
West New Guinea/. PhD Dissertation.Edinburgh: University of Edinburgh.

Best,

David

On 26/09/2022 22:02, Jesus Francisco Olguin Martinez wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I hope this email finds you well.
>
> I was wondering if there are any works that have explored
> insubordinate 'until' clauses. I am interested in examples like the
> following Spanish constructions:
>
> 1. ¡*Hasta que* te dignas a pasar por aquí!
> 2. !Vaya, *hasta que* ganaron un juego, ya era hora!
>
> In the languages I have identified these constructions, 'until'
> clauses are used for expressing 'surprise' or for 'complaining'.
>
> Any readings will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best,
>

> --
> Jesús Olguín Martínez
> Ph.D, Dept. of Linguistics
> /University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)/
> Home - Jesús Olguín (jesusolguinmartinez.com)
> <https://www.jesusolguinmartinez.com/?fbclid=IwAR2len8OjCPh6HfiREXrVK56ZMgLrXDUolQdO1G-cG9z2DDl4XM5ZvueVqs>
>

> Dissertation:
> Olguín Martínez, Jesús. 2022. /Temporal adverbial clauses in the
> languages of the world: Clause-linking strategies/. Ph.D.
> dissertation, University of California, Santa Barbara.
>
> Recent publications:
> Olguín Martínez, Jesús. 2022. Contact-induced language contact: The
> case of Mixtec adverbial clauses. /Journal of Language Contact.
> Evolution of Languages, Contact and Discourse/ 15. 1-70.
> Olguín Martínez, Jesús & Nicholas Lester.  2021. A quantitative
> analysis of counterfactual conditionals in the world’s languages.
> /Italian Journal of Linguistics 33/. 147-182.
> Olguín Martínez, Jesús. 2021. ‘As if’ constructions in world-wide
> perspective. /Journal Linguistic typology at the crossroads/ 1. 2-33.

David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Deutscher Platz 6, Leipzig, 04103, Germany

Email:gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-526117713
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-082113720302