[Lingtyp] Typology of sentence fragments

Juergen Bohnemeyer jb77 at buffalo.edu
Tue Apr 25 14:12:17 UTC 2023

Dear Emily – One relevant instance of typological variation that has always impressed me greatly, and that has been noted by various people over the years (e.g., Launey 2004: 57-59), but has to my knowledge never received more sustained attention, is the absence of ellipsis from profoundly head-marking languages.

This is “simply” a consequence of the fact that heads represent their complements/arguments anaphorically in such languages, so omission of the latter does not result in syntactically incomplete expressions. Of course, this makes perfect sense given the functional proximity between anaphora and ellipsis (Halliday & Hasan 1976).

I assume the same (no ellipsis) holds for zero-anaphora languages such as Japanese, but am not positive there.

HTH! – Juergen

Halliday, M. A. K., & R. Hasan. (1976). Cohesion in English. London: Longman.

Launey, M. (2004). The features of omnipredicativity in Classical Nahuatl. STUF 57(1): 49-69.

Juergen Bohnemeyer (He/Him)
Professor, Department of Linguistics
University at Buffalo

Office: 642 Baldy Hall, UB North Campus
Mailing address: 609 Baldy Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260
Phone: (716) 645 0127
Fax: (716) 645 3825
Email: jb77 at buffalo.edu<mailto:jb77 at buffalo.edu>
Web: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jb77/

Office hours Tu/Th 3:30-4:30pm in 642 Baldy or via Zoom (Meeting ID 585 520 2411; Passcode Hoorheh)

There’s A Crack In Everything - That’s How The Light Gets In
(Leonard Cohen)