[Lingtyp] query: cumulative songs

Timur Maisak timur.maisak at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 20:56:12 UTC 2023

Dear Florian,
it is great that you provided this Laal example, as it is very similar to
the type of folkloric text that came to my mind when I read the original
query. It does not seem to fall under the definition of cumulative song,
though, as there is no "progressive addition so that each verse is longer
than the verse before <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumulative_song>".
In the languages of Daghestan (but also in Russian), one occasionally finds
the texts of this type, which represent "chains" of short question-answer
pairs, often with absurdist content. An example below is from Agul (<
Nakh-Daghestanian) - I only give the English translation, but you can see
the original attached (with the glosses and translation in Russian).

*- Where are you going, Chiday?- To the forest.- What to do in the forest?-
To cut wood.- What's the cutting of wood for?- To make a bridge.- What's
the bridge for?- For water to flow underneath.- What's the water for?- To
splash on a hummock.- What's the hummock for?- For young grass to grow on
it. - What's the grass for?- For a goat kid to eat.- What's the goat kid
for?- To slaughter it with a knife.- What's the knife for?- To hang on
someone's side.- What's the side for?- For ants to eat.- What are the ants
for?- To kill them by throwing a lump of earth.*

I wonder if there is a conventional term for this type of text. (In
Russian, they are often referred to as *прибаутки*, but this term covers a
wider range of "children's" folkloric texts.)

Very best,
Timur Maisak