[Lingtyp] Affectionate or sympathy marking

Laura Arnold Laura.Arnold at ed.ac.uk
Thu Jan 12 11:35:08 UTC 2023

Hi Christian,

Ambel (Austronesian > South Halmahera-West New Guinea) has a clitic ki= which is typically used as a diminutive, but may also function as a marker of respect or affection. The latter uses are clearest when the context rules out a diminutive reading:

e.g.    ái
lál     ki=pa   n-abí   n-anán

dog     big     KI=ART  3SG.AN-want     3SG.AN-eat

'The big dog (whom I love) wants to eat.'

There's more on the form and function of ki= in the Ambel grammar, sections 3.10 and 6.2.4: https://laura-arnold.org/documents/Arnold_2018_AGrammarOfAmbel.pdf

All the best,
Laura