[Lingtyp] Australian languages

Ilana Mushin i.mushin at uq.edu.au
Thu Jan 12 22:11:44 UTC 2023

Following on from Jane’s email, such particles are widely found across Australian languages, including non-Pama-Nyungan languages. Eg Garrwa (and Yanyuwa) ‘kurda’ and Gija gaage- (the Gija forms inflect for gender). They can be used as compassionate responses as stand alone particles (response token), or they can be used turn initially or finally to express compassion over what has just been said, or is about to be said. They are usually used to express compassion over another’s misfortune, but can also be used affectionately. We have examples of them being used for people, animals and country.

Ilana Mushin
Professor of Linguistics
Deputy Head of School
President, Australian Linguistic Society

[/var/folders/lv/m77kqy0n4x1_rcd3pk0j2n900000gq/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/il.pb.png]Co-Editor, Interactional Linguistics (https://benjamins.com/catalog/il)

School of Languages and Cultures
University of Queensland
St Lucia, QLD 4072.
Ph: (07) 3365 6810<tel:(07)%203365%206810>

CRICOS Provider No: 00025B

I acknowledge the Jagera and Turrbal peoples on whose land I live and work. Their sovereignty was never ceded.