[Lingtyp] Australian languages

Peter Austin pa2 at soas.ac.uk
Thu Jan 12 23:00:45 UTC 2023

As Jane says, many Pama-Nyungan languages have a nominal for sympathy, used as a head or in apposition to another nominal -- in Kanyara and Mantharta languages (Western Australia) this is gardulya.

Ngiyampaa, New South Wales, has a VERB suffix -guwa-y which encodes sympathy for an intransitive verb subject -- I don't have Donaldson's published grammar to hand but see  6.3.4.15 (page 234) in her PhD thesis.

Best
Peter