[Lingtyp] (non)discrete concepts

Martin Haspelmath martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Mon Jul 17 11:17:43 UTC 2023

Dear all,

The discussion of mood in "non-finite" environments quickly arrived at a
point where we seem to be ending up repeatedly, as shown by the
following exchange between Adam and Christian:

On 15.07.23 06:45, Christian Lehmann wrote [emphasis added]:
> Dear Adam [Tallman] and everybody, just a brief reply to this:
>> For a functional-typological audience, I'm sort of surprised the
>> distinction is still brought up as if it was discrete (or not just a
>> matter of definition as Martin points out), since Bybee discussed the
>> issue of inflectional status as a continuum with lexical/derivational
>> in her Morphology book some 30+ years ago. It's also well-known that
>> these notions of inflection/finiteness are tricky or nonapplicable in
>> many so-called polysynthetic languages (e.g. de Reuse 2009).
> It is a recurrent misunderstanding among typologists, chiefly of
> particularist persuasion, that a grammatical concept should be
> dispensed with because it is not discrete, covers a continuum, is not
> applicable to all languages or what not. If one takes this position,
> then *no**grammatical concept whatsoever can be used in the
> description of more than one language*. It seems more realistic, and
> even methodologically more fruitful, to live by concepts whose
> cross-linguistic application is "tricky".

But there is not necessarily a misunderstanding – some people are fully
aware, when proposing discrete (non-fuzzy, non-prototype-based)
definitions of traditional terms (such as "inflection" in my forthcoming
paper, or "clitic" in another paper:
https://ling.auf.net/lingbuzz/007071), that *these comparative-concept
definitions cannot be used for description*.

Different languages have different systems, and their categories are
defined within these systems. The comparative concepts are defined
outside of such systems, in substantive terms. One could see them as
fuzzy or as prototypes, but since comparative concepts are not
scientific claims anyway (but merely instruments for formulating such
claims), it seems better to me to formulate them in discrete terms.

Thus, I'd like to have discrete definitions of "mood" and of "finite",
as comparative concepts. Of course, these will very rarely map 100% onto
language-particular categories.

Best,

Martin

P.S. I don't know what "particularist persuasion" means. I don't think
it's controversial that particular languages have particular
constructions with particular form-classes defined by these constructions.

--
Martin Haspelmath
Deutscher Platz 6