[Lingtyp] Transitive verbs with both active and passive readings

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 02:18:18 UTC 2023

Hi Jianming,
Thanks for your reply.

When you say “without a specific context”, you are actually creating two interpretive contexts in your mind to create the two different meanings; there is no such thing as understanding language (or any phenomenon) without creating a context of interpretation. The fact that you can create these two meanings from the same form means there is no voice opposition in the language. The semantics of the referents referred to can influence the interpretation, but that is also not voice, e.g. 老师发了成绩单 [teacher distribute grade sheets] and 学生发了成绩单 [student distribute grade sheets] are normally understood out of specific context as having different transitivity structures, with ’teacher’ as agent, but ‘students' as patient, but this is not voice.

Y. R. Chao argued that bei and ba are  "pre-transitive" markers that help to disambiguate the direction of action, not passive and active markers.He also argued that even in the structure N V N’, the direction of action is not necessarily from the initial N to the N’, and he used the example of ‘dog bite man’.

If you agree with Chao (and Lü Shuxiang, and me) that Mandarin is topic-comment, not subject-predicate, there is no “basic AVP” order. As Chao said, all clauses are topic comment, though in some cases there is no topic.

All the best,
Randy
——
Professor Randy J. LaPolla(罗仁地), PhD FAHA
Center for Language Sciences
Institute for Advanced Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences
Beijing Normal University at Zhuhai
A302, Muduo Building, #18 Jinfeng Road, Zhuhai City, Guangdong, China

https://randylapolla.info <https://randylapolla.info/>
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6100-6196

邮编:519087
广东省珠海市唐家湾镇金凤路18号木铎楼A302