[Lingtyp] Transitive verbs with both active and passive readings

Lidia Federica Mazzitelli lfmazzitelli at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 17:01:04 UTC 2023

Dear Sergey

I have found examples of almost the same phenomenon in some dialects of
Kara (New Ireland, Papua New Guinea). There, the intransitive form of the
transitive predicate may have both passive and active meaning.
Kara Nonopai
1a. A raatai a=yot-a popo
       Art man 3sg.s=lift.up-TR art baby
1b. A popo fo yo-yot
       art baby perf red-lift.up
      The baby was lift up
(The absence of subject indexing is due to the perfect marker for, which
doesn't allow subject indexing in the 3sg)

I will be presenting a poster about it at the SLE, if you're interested!

Best, Lidia