[Lingtyp] from connector to focus marker

Riccardo Giomi rgiomi at campus.ul.pt
Mon Mar 6 12:08:45 UTC 2023

Dear Mohammad,

Since you mentioned connectors in general, and not only subordinators, the
following might be of your interest: in (some varieties of) Italian, the
adversative conjunction *ma *is also used as a contrastive/corrective
focus, with pretty much any part of speech -- except perhaps finite verbs,
at least in my usage: