[Lingtyp] sources: p-word inside and smaller than g-word

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Mon Mar 27 17:38:48 UTC 2023

Dear Adam, all,

In my analysis of Riau Indonesian (Gil 2020), I discuss interlocking
constituencies of "P-Words" and "G-words", including cases (p. 66 and
elsewhere) which, adapting your notation, might be represented as

(1) [ ... (...]p_word ... )g_word

where square brackets and parentheses represent "P-Words" and "G-words"
respectively.

As for the case you're interested in, that which you represent as

(2) ( ... (...)p_word ... )g_word

with P-Words wholly contained within G-words, I do not discuss this
explicitly in Gil (2020) for the sole reason that it did not seem to me
to be remarkable.Under the analysis proposed in Gil (2020), the
structure in (2) is associated with reduplicated or compound forms such
as /rumah-rumah /(DISTR~house), which, in accordance with your notation,
would have the structure

(3) ((rumah)p_word (rumah)p_word)g_word

with P-Words wholly contained within G-words.  For arguments that
/rumah-rumah/ is an instance of morphological reduplication rather than
syntactic repetition, see Gil (2005).

Final comment: in terms of Martin Haspelmath's distinction between
descriptive categories and comparative concepts, my proposed "P-Words"
and "G-words" in Riau Indonesian are instances of descriptive
categories, whose relationship to the comparative concepts of p-words
and g-words is hinted at but left open in Gil (2020).

Gil, David (2005) "From Repetition to Reduplication in Riau Indonesian",
in B. Hurch ed. /Studies on Reduplication/, Empirical Approaches to
Language Typology 28, Mouton de Gruyter, Berlin, 31-64.

Gil, David (2020) "What Does It Mean to Be an Isolating Language? The
Case of Riau Indonesian", in D. Gil and A. Schapper eds., /Austronesian
Undressed: How and Why Languages Become Isolating/, John Benjamins,
Amsterdam, 9-96.

David

On 27/03/2023 16:20, Adam James Ross Tallman wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm trying to gather sources on cases where researchers specifically
> discuss elements or constructions whereby a p-word is inside a g-word.
>
> ( ... (...)p_word ... )gword
>
> Woodbury calls these "unclitics" and Zúñiga calls these "anticlitics".
> Another well known article by Bickel et al. argues that prefixes in
> Chintang can be regarded as p-words.
>
> Anyone have any recent studies to share on this? I'd be interested.
> I'm specifically interested in researchers that take the time to
> explain why their g-word in such cases should not be considered a
> phrase (a "g-phrase"?). A related issue is why the p-word should not
> be considered a p-stem or a smaller prosodic constituent à la Downing
> inter alia.
>
> best,
>
> p.s. not interested in having a debate about whether these things are
> real, just looking for sources. If you want to discuss whether such
> constructions "exist" or whatever, I would appreciate it if you
> started this on a different email chain.
>
> Adam
>
> Zúñiga, F.
> (Anti)-cliticization in Mapudungun
> /Morphology,/*2014*, 161-175
> Bickel, B.; Banjade, G.; Gaenszle, M.; Lieven, E.; Paudyal, N. P.;
> Rai, I. P.; Rai, M.; Rai, N. K. & Stoll, S.
> Free Prefix Ordering in Chintang
> /Language,/*2007*/, 83/, 42-73
> Woodbury, A.C.
> Atkan Aleut "unclitic" pronouns and definiteness: A multimodular
> analysis Pragmatics and Autolexical Grammar in honor of Jerry Sadock,
> Benjamins, 2011, 125-141
> Downing, L. J. & Kadenge, M.
> Re-placing PStem in the prosodic hierarchy The Linguistic Review,
> 2020, 3, 433-461
> --
> Adam J.R. Tallman
> Post-doctoral Researcher
> Friedrich Schiller Universität
> Department of English Studies

David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Deutscher Platz 6, Leipzig, 04103, Germany

Email:gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-526117713
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-082113720302