[Lingtyp] languages without X

Martin Haspelmath martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Wed May 10 06:03:50 UTC 2023

Dear all,

It seems to me that the question whether there are "languages without X"
comes up again and again, for all kinds of X, where X is a category or
class of units (e.g. phonological feet, a dual, adjectives, serial
verbs, adpositions, second-position clitics, nasal vowels...)

But what do we mean when we say "language L has X" (or "lacks X")? It
seems to me that such statements are inherentlly comparative, so that X
must be a comparative concept. If I don't compare my language with other
languages, I don't (have to) say that it "has X", but I simply say which
categories I set up and how they behave.

So "X" in such statements is a comparative concept, but this means that
we must define it clearly (if perhaps somewhat arbitrarily). Getting
back to Adam's feet: How is a phonological foot defined in general
terms? It seems that for phonological words, there is no such general
definition, but maybe there is one for feet?

As I don't think that description/analysis should be done in
general-comparative terms, I wouldn't think that it's relevant whether
phonological feet are "found useful for description/analysis" in some
language. Clearly, one can assume the universality of everything, and
not be bothered too much if one doesn't find too much
evidence/usefulness for it in all languages. (Chomsky 2001 formulated
this as the Uniformity Principle:"In the absence of compelling evidence
to the contrary, assume languages to be uniform, with variety restricted
to easily detectable properties of utterances." Whether one finds the
evidence compelling seems to be rather subjective.)

Best,

Martin