[Lingtyp] Encoding "right before" across languages

Juergen Bohnemeyer jb77 at buffalo.edu
Mon Apr 22 02:40:50 UTC 2024

Dear Joe Pun Ho Lui – If you are looking for adverbial connectives expressing ‘right before’, I got nothing. However, there are languages that have anaphoric temporal remoteness markers. In such languages, immediate past markers convey ‘right before’ when used anaphorically (as opposed to with utterance time). A case in point is Yucatec (Bohnemeyer 2023). (Another language in which anaphoric temporal remoteness markers have been attested is Luganda (Klecha & Bochnak 2015); however, the Luganda system does not include an immediate past marker.)

Best – Juergen

Bohnemeyer, J. (2023). Elicitation and documentation of tense and aspect. Language Documentation and Preservation Special Publication 26: 59-98.

Klecha, P., & M. R. Bochnak. (2015). Temporal remoteness and relativity. Talk presented at NELS 46.

Juergen Bohnemeyer (He/Him)
Professor, Department of Linguistics
University at Buffalo

Office: 642 Baldy Hall, UB North Campus
Mailing address: 609 Baldy Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260
Phone: (716) 645 0127
Fax: (716) 645 3825
Email: jb77 at buffalo.edu<mailto:jb77 at buffalo.edu>
Web: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jb77/

Office hours Tu/Th 3:30-4:30pm in 642 Baldy or via Zoom (Meeting ID 585 520 2411; Passcode Hoorheh)

There’s A Crack In Everything - That’s How The Light Gets In
(Leonard Cohen)